What to do in Philadelphia for 3 days?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Turboduck01, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Turboduck01

Turboduck01 Member

Hey guys, I'm going to Philadelphia the first week of May for work. Any recommendations for someone who has never been to PA?

I love craft beer and food. Also local architecture/housing is interesting.. places to run or bike... etc.

Is public transportation any good?
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

It's been many years, but I enjoyed the classic tourist stuff. Go see Liberty Bell, the first court house -- and then hit the new microbrew beer bars! I didn't find the city beautiful, but you'll see some of the oldest architecture in the country! I rented a car, but hear mass transit is pretty good.

Oh yeah, you can reproduce Rocky's famous run! :)
  4. a10thunder

a10thunder New Member

Philly local here. Independence Hall is interesting and has real historical significance. I would avoid the Liberty Bell. There is always a long line and you can clearly see the bell from the outside.

If you are into art, then the art museum and Barnes museum are very nice.

Philly just started a bike share program. You can rent a bike and ride around Fairmount Park along the Schuykill River.

If you have a lot of free time, I recommend going to Manhattan. There are a lot more to see and do there. PM me if you need more details.
    Turboduck01 and McRib 1s Back like this.
  5. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

In re-reading my post, it may sound rude to someone local -- and definitely didn't intend that. I did the typical tourist stuff and yes, stood in line to see Liberty Bell! It wasn't bad, and a real highlight for me. I also enjoyed the adjacent museums quite a bit. I'd still vote for it as an outsider.

Also, I felt cheesy asking about "Philly cheesesteak", but did try a few. Is there an actual must-try place?

I was in Manhattan for a few weeks before I decided to travel to Philly. The drive was pretty.
  6. jfdana

jfdana Member

Before going to the art museum, it might be interesting to watch "The Art of the Steal (the 2009 documentary)," about how the Barnes got moved to the city.
    Turboduck01 likes this.
  7. Steve@Tasca

Steve@Tasca Fiesta ST Network Sponsor

8. Turboduck01

Turboduck01 Member

thanks for the replies guys! I'll have to report back after the trip!