What would you do? Moral Decision

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mrtn, Jun 2, 2014.

1. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

I wanted to get some opinions on a situation I recently had and see what others would have done. Since the vendor is on the forum I won't mention any names but they will probably know if they read this.

So I was online looking at my wish list of car parts I want, and being in Canada we don't get the final cost of our purchase after exchange rate and exchange fees until checkout and I wanted to know. So I put everything I wanted in the cart went through the order process with PayPal and it gives me the total final cost in Canadian. Once I got that cost and realized it's far too much I cancelled the session and went on my way.

Later that day I received a shipping notification. My entire wish list was on its way to me...and I hadn't paid a thing. Some glitch or error in PayPal marked my order as paid in full. So the vendor shipped everything. This is almost $2000 worth of stuff.

I didn't see the shipping notice for a few days but once I did... I didn't know what to do
    A) contact the vendor let them know of the error.
    B) let the shipment come and keep everything then see what happens.

Naturally I chose option A. The vendor was thankful and said they realized the error as well and tried to recall the shipment. However fedex showed up a couple days later with the packages and I had to refuse it... Was a hard thing to do lol.

Anyway I told some friends the story and some said they would have kept it and there's nothing the vendor could do because it was their mistake and "live and learn."
    I couldn't live with myself if I had done that. But some also said the vendor should have let me keep it and write it off... But it's a lot of money so I doubt they would have considered that. Or maybe they could have offered to let me keep it with a good discount as a thanks.

I'm so sad that I had to reject the package and wished that I could have kept everything but I believe I did the right thing. Plus I want to be on good terms with this vendor as I plan on ordering more in the future.

What would you have done? If I did keep it what could have happened? Do you think the vendor should have let me keep it? Offered a discount instead of asking to return? Or is it my mistake as well?
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Mikeygti

Mikeygti Active Member

Without a doubt option A.
    Dyn085, reddog99, peoples1234 and 3 others like this.
  4. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

This sounds like it was PayPal's fault and you did nothing wrong.
    I do however believe that you did the right thing.
    Had you kept the items I am sure that you would have not received any customer support and possibly jeopardized any future purchases.

In the future you can still reap all of the benefits.
    The ability to purchase good products when you can afford them.
    Good customer support from friendly vendors.
    And a clear conscience.

5. Ronbo

Ronbo Member

Only a dirtbag would keep the items given this situation.
    BlackBird, envyist, reddog99 and 2 others like this.
  6. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Agreed. It can be tough when you think of all that good stuff for free, but greed is like that, and it makes the world a worse place.

I once received two computer monitors when I had ordered just one, and the seller wasn't even aware of it. The devil was on my shoulder whispering in my ear and I was tempted to sell the monitor on Craigslist. But karma can bite you in the ass when you least expect it, so I called them and returned it.

Your friends need some friendly admonishment for their lack of a moral compass.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  7. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

There was no doubt in my mind what the right thing to do was and I never intended on keeping any of it. But like red dog said it can be tempting. I think my friends might sing a different tune if it was them in the situation. But who knows... Good thing they are not very close friends lol.
    reddog99 and kamakazee like this.
  8. kamakazee

kamakazee Active Member

You absolutely made the right call. Vendors, like us all work to try and make a living. A big loss like that can be devastating for business big or small. I believe in working hard for the things you want and keeping product in situations such as this is just as bad as stealing. Once, Ohlins shipped us an extra shock for a customer by mistake. I called Ohlins USA to make them aware of the situation and shipped it back to them. Even the representative over the phone was surprised I even acknowledged their mistake plus they offered us a deeper discount for the next order we place. It pays off to be a decent human being. Hats off to you.
    envyist, reddog99, mrtn and 2 others like this.
  9. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Option A, no doubt, is the right answer. Any rationalization in support of option B is no better or different than coming up with reasons why it's okay to take something from a shop if the proprietor's back is turned, a la "he shoulda been watching better".
    SpaceFish and reddog99 like this.
  10. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

You don't need us to tell you that you've done the right thing. You know it from the inside.
  11. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

It was never a question of if I did the right thing or not. I know what the right thing is. Just wondering what others would do/think. But I realize that no one on here would ever admit to picking option b. We might all think it but I think most, if not all, would pick option a. It takes a special kind of person to not only pick b but to actually be happy they did.
  12. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Special, as in, "Mrs. Capone, your son Al is just such a special boy. . . ."
    mrtn likes this.
  13. ryst

ryst Active Member

Eventually it would catch up with you, most likely they could put you into collections to collect the money if you kept the package. They know where you live (assuming you shipped it to your house).
  14. MonsterST

MonsterST Member

Absolutely return it! You didn't pay for it, it's not yours. Just think of how you would feel if you are the seller. Karma...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

You did absolutely the right thing. Zero doubt.
    jimclark likes this.