What's the closest you've come to running out of gas?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by CrookedRacer, Dec 16, 2014.

1. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

This morning I forgot that I was supposed to fill up before leaving the neighborhood. I got about halfway to work when I looked down and saw:

0 miles to empty

Now, I know there's slop. There's a little cushion. There's gas in the fuel lines. But I was nervous mostly because I never saw WHEN it went to "0 miles to empty". As in, how long ago was that?

Fortunately, there was a station that was mostly downhill from me. I didn't run out of gas, but it was nice to know I wasn't going to need a cellphone if things got real.

When I filled up, I put in more gas than I've ever done before: 12.12 gallons. And I stopped at the first "trip" of the pump filler (I don't "top off").

What's YOUR personal record for how much gas you've pumped in a single fill-up?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    Crash likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. TapTapPull

TapTapPull Active Member

This was my lowest earlier in the summer!

I was driving from Vancouver to Prince George and decided not to fill up in Williams Lake. Had 32 km to empty when I pulled into a gas station in Quesnel. Was a little stressful, but once I was within 50km, I knew I would make it with fuel to spare.
  4. Dyn085

Dyn085 Active Member

Once my light comes on I hit the pumps immediately. Running while low on fuel is bad for the fuel pump as that is what keeps it lubed and cool.
    Crash likes this.
  5. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

That's a little less of a problem with the newer style pump assembly designs that basically have a mini surge tank built into them. Still a good thing to be aware of.
    RDgolfer likes this.
  6. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

5 mi to empty today...yuck..11.3 gal
  7. felopr

felopr New Member

when i pick it up at the dealer, it was like 15 miles to empty
    one word of caution to all, never reach empty on a car with a high pressure fuel pump, it would damage it if you run empty
  8. eRic

eRic Active Member

I have reached 9 miles to empty in my 2011 Fiesta
    however that was during an open track event averaging 12.8 mpg.
  9. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I have run to about 20 miles past "0 miles to empty" in my 2011 SES. I put 12.23 gallons in the tank then so I only had about a quart in the tank. The most I have put in my ST was 11.9 gallons so I had about 1/2 gallon left in the tank at that point.
  10. CrookedRacer

Nice one! Were you nervous? Were you exhilerated? Did you get that Kramer-and-a-sales-guy feeling?

I think you win.
  11. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I have to say, I was a bit nervous about it. I knew from previous experience that there was still some gas left even at 0 miles to empty. It's still a little unnerving to go that low though.
  12. CrookedRacer

Well it happened to me again this past week. And I broke my record: it took 12.309 gallons to fill up.

FYI, I don't top off. That's simply when the nozzle tripped itself off.

The most I've seen reported is 12.5 on this thread over here...
  13. Crash

Crash New Member

The closest I've ever come is driving the car off the lot! I think it was around 12.25 if I remember right.

I just can't bring myself to let the car get that low; any lower than 1/8 and my conscience feels like it can sense the fuel pump in agonizing distress..
  14. Max Archer

Max Archer Member

I've gone beyond 0 once as well. I went for a drive with a group that included two heavily modified M3s, and was on a long, fast uphill mountain road. I had about 1/2 of a tank at the bottom and figured that was plenty for a 20mi or so road. I was on the throttle pretty heavily to keep them in sight, and not paying attention to my gas gauge.

When we got to the top, I looked down and my gas light was on and displaying about 5mi left in the tank. Fortunately it was downhill all the way back to the gas station.