wheel lug nut problem

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by Mayhem, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Steve@Tasca

Steve@Tasca Fiesta ST Network Sponsor

That and the use of non-metric sockets.

My 2002 SVT has factory stainless capped lug nuts and they're all original to the car and all have their caps, that's through about six sets of wheels and numerous sets of tires plus coming off and on for brakes, suspension and other work.

-Steve

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

+1

4. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Because there's no need to.
    Maybe if I did like the other 99% of owners and never check or change my wheels until I need new tires, 100 pf would be reasonable.

5. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I am in the 1% that changes tires more times than I change my.. well never mind that but I always set them with a Tq wrench just for the warm fuzzy click click of the Tq wrench.. As for the factory garbage lugs neither 3/4 or 19mm fit well so I cut all the caps off and low and behld a 18 mm fit perfect.. I used them only for garage work if needed and spares kept in the trailer but I have moved to quality after market lugs like those sold at 2J and a few other online sellers .. To each there own though if you can get them to work all the more to ya..

6. Steve@Tasca

That right there is what I was talking about, the stock lugs are a 19mm.

A 3/4 is too loose especially if used in conjunction with an impact gun and that's what beats the stainless caps to death and causes them to fall off. This is a super common thing to have happen in a service department or independent shop.

-Steve

7. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

As stated the 19mm was sloppy to from the factory like they used a 18.9mm cover and I dont used a impact on lugs until they are broken loose with the breaker bar and deep well socket then I will spin them off if I am in a hurry with my 3/8th drive impact.. Mine still rounded of after the second or thrid useage.. They a a good design just poor quality..

8. Steve@Tasca

Just making a point based on my 20+ years working in Ford dealerships both in the shop, in parts and my 15 years owning various Ford Focus'

Wasn't saying you in particular were using an impact, it's super common practice though.

-Steve

9. koozy

koozy Active Member

it's not uncommon for tools to be out of spec from mfg or from years of use. i prefer not to use standard tools on metric fasteners.

10. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

No worries Steve.. I could feel the lug giving up while I was torquing them in by hand with a newer tq wrench, after a few times they just went mushy instead of that nice firm click.. And yes I hate the air tools being used (or electric now) to attach the wheels and what that does to the studs..

11. aborbs87

aborbs87 Active Member

Just lifted my car to begin installation of some Rokblokz and the first lug is rounded. It's the only one, and I have the basic tools to work with. I don't see any grooves in the lug that was stated to remove an outer cap. Should I take the car up to the shop that rounded it and ask them to remove it? I'm not really sure where to go with this.

Here is a picture of the rounded lug.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432319362.871274.jpg

12. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

You could take a small chisel and cut the cover off the lug then you would be able to get a 18mm socket on the remaining lug nut and once off throw it away.. Or take the car back to the shop and have them fix it.. but that lug is pretty much toast as it sits

13. KKaWing

KKaWing Member

14. Steve@Tasca

You have a couple options.

If a shop did that take it back and when you do be sure to have the person you're dealing with make not of the condition of the wheels so if the hack damages the wheels removing the lugnuts he damaged they'll pay for it.

On the other hand, you may simply want to make them aware of the issue and let them know you're never coming back and that you'll get it taken care of yourself.

-Steve

15. F1ST

F1ST Member

In my case a 12pt socket would no longer go on so I hammered it all the way down. After that I just wiggled it in place with an extension in the socket till the cover worked its way off. After that an 18mm socket fits perfectly on the lug under the cover.