Wilwood Brake Upgrade - How To

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chassis Upgrades' started by joe@2j-racing, Nov 24, 2013.

1. kamakazee

kamakazee Active Member

Hey Stuntdoogie! Those look very nice! How do you like the Wilwood setup and how do they compare to stock? I'm considering a set as well.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

I don't have the Wilwood brake kit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. kamakazee

kamakazee Active Member

Oops my mistake, I meant to ask Frismanis.

5. Sena Pratama

Sena Pratama New Member

Was wondering, does anyone have the bore size of the stock caliper pistons vs the Wilwood 6 pots?

6. MaestroMaestro

MaestroMaestro New Member

Well now... I just installed the front and the rear Wilwood BBKs. Which are not really a Wilwood kit - that's something that 2JR put together from standard Wilwood parts. The install is not without its challenges, especially in my case, because I also changed the bolting from the goofy 4x108 to a more common 4x100. Which meant that to ease the install, I got two new Timken rear hubs with the new studs pressed in (with extra holes for the old 4x108). I also upgraded the rotors to Spec 37 (slotted) ones. Given that these aren't kits, as I said, and that the new hubs were used, the install is not without teething problems - small, but critical details had to be sorted out, as these were not obvious at the start. Plus, Wilwoods changed the caliper design somewhat compared to the 'old' kit, and that made matters more complicated - when it comes to retracting pistons, and fitting certain wheels on top of the rear brake assembly. For instance, a set of 16" Motegi MR125s would clear the calipers, but barely - no spacers needed; however, I needed to have the balancing weights moved towards the inboard surface of the rim, because otherwise the weights were hitting the calipers.

Still working the kinks out...

7. Removed

Removed Guest

Are the new calipers physically larger? One of the things I liked about them was that they fit under a lot more wheels than Brembos did.

8. MaestroMaestro

MaestroMaestro New Member

Yes , 6 piston. 17s should fit but not all 16s.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk