Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

Winter Tires/ Wheel's

79K views 215 replies 52 participants last post by  Sir William 
#1 · (Edited)
With "summer only " performance tires, does anyone know what size combo's one can use for winter setup?
I was hoping to use some 185/65/15's on 15" black steelies from my GTI. The size MIGHT fit, but the steel wheels I have are a 5 bolt pattern, and from pics I've seen, the Fiesta ST seems to be a 4 bolt pattern ?
Thanks in advance !

#2 ·
The ST supplement suggests sizing to 16" so the wheel wells will clear chains, and has suggested tire/wheel sizes in it. That being said, my goal is to track down some used 16" Fiesta/Focus wheels and get snows mounted on them.

I could go with 15" steelies, but they're ugly and I plan on getting bigger brakes down the road.

#5 ·
I am planning on ordering a Fiesta ST next week. I probably won't take delivery until it's cold as hell out here in Michigan. Interestingly enough I have 3 sets of snowflake tires off of 87-88 Thunderbird turbocoupes...Including the one I am driving now. They appear to be the same bolt pattern 16X7 4-108. If I can jam those out over the winter that would rock....Just wondering about the offset.

#6 · (Edited)
Figured I would bump this with additional info since a lot of us need to buy these soon:

ST Supplement suggests using OEM 16" alloys (16x6, I think? Maybe 16x6.5, if someone can check that'd be great) with 195/45 R16 tires.

If you go 15" you can use 185/60 R15 (OEM size at 15" steelies) but these won't clear brakes. Talked to Julian @ TireRack, as well as calling the SVT hotline and it looks like 185/55 R15 and 195/50 R15's give us the clearance to run chains, but finding wheels other than OEM narrower than 6.5" is tough.

#7 ·
Purchased a set of winter wheels/tires yesterday from Tire Rack. After some back and forth on the SVT hotline, I went with the recommended size from the ST supplement (195/45 16). Unfortunately, the only winter tire in this size is the Pirelli Snow Control II - a performance snow tire. The ice traction isn't as good as say, a Blizzak, but the snow is pretty sporadic here, it's mostly the temperature (20 and below) that necessitates snow tires. Mounted on a set of 16x7 Sparco's.

I won't have a chance to put them on until this weekend (need to pickup a torque wrench and set aside a couple hours), but they look nice:

Sparcos
by cinderbike, on Flickr

I didn't buy the TPMS sensors, but if the light drives me crazy they are pretty cheap online.

#8 ·
Purchased a set of winter wheels/tires yesterday from Tire Rack. After some back and forth on the SVT hotline, I went with the recommended size from the ST supplement (195/45 16). Unfortunately, the only winter tire in this size is the Pirelli Snow Control II - a performance snow tire. The ice traction isn't as good as say, a Blizzak, but the snow is pretty sporadic here, it's mostly the temperature (20 and below) that necessitates snow tires. Mounted on a set of 16x7 Sparco's. snip...

Those do look really good! please post another photo when you get them on your car, am thinking about going to 16's myself eventually for better odds against flats and wheel damage on the rough roads I drive locally....those would probably look great on my black car.

#10 ·
Thanks, that is even better for my purposes, snow is extremely rare here....50's would suit me fine...I hope I'm wrong but it seems like just a matter of time before I blow a tire and/or bend a rim with the stock setup, especially once our rainy season starts and the lousy roads get even worse.

#12 ·
How horrible would throwing winter tires on the stock 17"s be? I know it's not ideal but I don't see what other use I'll get out of em.

I don't want 3 sets of wheels.... Hate the stock wheels, so I want to pick up a different set. Also don't care for summer tires as locally we're way too wet/cool to benefit from them majority of the year. They get squirrelly. I have wheels in mind already and was aiming for all season performance tires for the non winter season... And dedicated winters for the winter season..

I don't see myself using chains.. Don't think they are necessary here.

Anyway, I'm looking at steelies for winter, or just winter tires on the stock rims.. 17" though.. seems iffy.

I just don't want to buy a new set of winters, a new set for the rest of the year.. AND keep this stock set sitting in the garage un touched.. collecting dust... Ford really should let us pick our tires in the very least.

Probably endup with steelies either way... but what a PITA....

#13 ·
How horrible would throwing winter tires on the stock 17"s be? I know it's not ideal but I don't see what other use I'll get out of em.

I don't want 3 sets of wheels.... Hate the stock wheels, so I want to pick up a different set. Also don't care for summer tires as locally we're way too wet/cool to benefit from them majority of the year. They get squirrelly. I have wheels in mind already and was aiming for all season performance tires for the non winter season... And dedicated winters for the winter season..

I don't see myself using chains.. Don't think they are necessary here.

Anyway, I'm looking at steelies for winter, or just winter tires on the stock rims.. 17" though.. seems iffy.

I just don't want to buy a new set of winters, a new set for the rest of the year.. AND keep this stock set sitting in the garage un touched.. collecting dust... Ford really should let us pick our tires in the very least.

Probably endup with steelies either way... but what a PITA....
My wife is not that fond of the stock wheels either. We will most likely use the stock wheels with winter tires. Blizzak 205/40R17's are out there but might have been made in 2009.
We will most likely get a set of the Pirelli Winter Sottozero serie ll in 205/45R17.

#14 · (Edited)
Well just did the test fit of my left over tires and I got great news !!! BOTH sets RUB I figured the 225/45/17 DZll would be tight anyway but I was hoping my 205/50/17 Hakkapeliitta (snow tires) could be used but at full turn they catch the front inside of the front fender and I don't want to run spacers all winter so come summer we get some new rims and tires for the track and now I get to go winter tire shopping :).... will have to sell the other tires at some point but that's for another day... LOL

#19 ·
My guess is they will just fit .. My 205/50/17's barely rubbed at full lock so a smidge shorter might do the trick . thing that tipped me off was the playing card in a bicycle wheel noise it made during the short rode test....

#20 ·
205/40R17 are 23.5" dia (stock size - these obviously fit)
205/45R17 are 24.4" dia (not tried but should fit, especially as the ones below fit)
215/45R17 are 24.7" dia (I tried these on SVT rims which is same offset as FiST - these fit with no issues)

205/50R17 are 25.3" dia (RodMoe tried these and they rub)

Getting a dia closest to the stock, means mph, mpg etc will be more accurate.

#24 ·
195/45R16 are 23.1" dia so slightly smaller than stock tires.
Maybe giving more clearance for snow or chains or just going with normal recommendation of smaller width for winter tires.

RodMoe, my thoughts are with snow / slush on the tires, even 215/45R17 will then rub.
With the 205/50R17's that rub and they are only 0.3" difference in radius and slightly narrower, it does not leave much room. Different offsets or wheel widths could make a difference but could rub on the wheel arch for example.

My thinking is if 215/45R17 fit, a 205/45R17 will give at least 0.15" extra room in radius and a bit in the width.
Not much but I really want to use the stock wheels for winter tires.

#26 · (Edited)
#27 ·
I'd have gone 15/16 if I was startin from scratch.. but pretty sure I'm gonna wrap the stock wheels in winter rubber. And get some wheels I actually like to put the stock tires on until I wear them to death and need to replace em.

Probably taking a road trip south of the border in the next week or two to pick up a set of tires/wheels.

#30 · (Edited)
2-3 weeks ago... There was a lot more options for winter tires.... Everyone's selling out fast...
17" is way harder to find right now.... Tire rack doesn't even list any winters for the FiST that size anymore.

Most local options are 200-300 per tire.

#32 ·
Check a previous post by RobMoe, 205/50R17 rub.

Also be aware that Blizzak WS60 is an older model and suppliers have old stock. Depends on where you read. Some say never use when over 10 years old, some car manufacturers says 6 years (including Ford I believe).
Some people expect winters to last 3 years so take the age of the tire into account.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.