Winter Tires/ Wheel's

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by Mikeygti, Aug 16, 2013.

1. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Hmmm ill have to look for some 215's then Thanks Bdud
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. doudou

doudou Member

RodMoe likes this.
  4. Mike

Mike Member

Have you tried out your 16" winter tires yet. Do you feel any difference in how the car handling bumps?
  5. Bdud

Bdud New Member

195/45R16 are 23.1" dia so slightly smaller than stock tires.
    Maybe giving more clearance for snow or chains or just going with normal recommendation of smaller width for winter tires.

RodMoe, my thoughts are with snow / slush on the tires, even 215/45R17 will then rub.
    With the 205/50R17's that rub and they are only 0.3" difference in radius and slightly narrower, it does not leave much room. Different offsets or wheel widths could make a difference but could rub on the wheel arch for example.

My thinking is if 215/45R17 fit, a 205/45R17 will give at least 0.15" extra room in radius and a bit in the width.
    Not much but I really want to use the stock wheels for winter tires.
    Removed and RodMoe like this.
  6. moshaholic2

moshaholic2 Active Member

Blizzak does make a 205/40/17. Tire Rack even carried them a few weeks ago but since removed them. Maybe local shops can order them in.
    I dont want to invest in 16"s as they wont fit over larger brakes down the road.
  7. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  8. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

I'd have gone 15/16 if I was startin from scratch.. but pretty sure I'm gonna wrap the stock wheels in winter rubber. And get some wheels I actually like to put the stock tires on until I wear them to death and need to replace em.

Probably taking a road trip south of the border in the next week or two to pick up a set of tires/wheels.
  9. FiestaST

FiestaST Active Member

Are 15 inch wheels to small for winter?
  10. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Apparently some 15s will fit, but you have to make sure they will clear the brake calipers. As some designs will not.
  11. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

2-3 weeks ago... There was a lot more options for winter tires.... Everyone's selling out fast...
    17" is way harder to find right now.... Tire rack doesn't even list any winters for the FiST that size anymore.

Most local options are 200-300 per tire.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  12. aborbs87

aborbs87 Active Member

Tire rack doesn't show this tire in 205/45R17. So will the extra sidewall fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. Bdud

Bdud New Member

Check a previous post by RobMoe, 205/50R17 rub.

Also be aware that Blizzak WS60 is an older model and suppliers have old stock. Depends on where you read. Some say never use when over 10 years old, some car manufacturers says 6 years (including Ford I believe).
    Some people expect winters to last 3 years so take the age of the tire into account.
  14. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

My 15's showed up tonight from tire rack so I'll fit test them tomorrow afternoon and if I can get on line here I'll post up results and snap a few pics

Updated below
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    Mayhem likes this.
  15. FiestaST

FiestaST Active Member

Awesome! I am very interested in those please keep us updated!
    RodMoe likes this.
  16. eRic

eRic Active Member

I bought these after talking to SVT and the Tire Rack. They're going to be mounted on SVT Contour wheels.

RodMoe likes this.
  17. Removed

Removed Guest

Looks like we got the same tires... not surprising since that's the only snow tire they have in that size, but still...

Can't wait to see yours mounted.
  18. moshaholic2

moshaholic2 Active Member

Been looking for 205/40/17 snows everywhere and as we know blizzaks do come in that size and are crazy expensive and hard to track town.. I've noticed other tire manufacturers offer that size overseas (europe)

I have seen this tire offered in the UK as well as mainland europe and are now offered here in the states for only $53.80/each in 205/40/17 and speed rated up to 140. It's not siped as much as a Blizzak, but should get the job done as long as you dont live where there is consistant snow pack.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  19. Bdud

Bdud New Member

Phone tirerack and speak to them as when I spoke to them they had them in stock. They are 2009 manufacture date though. You might be able to get your local tire supplier to order them, they are still listed on the Bridgestone website, they are just the older generation tire.
  20. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Here are my 15's mounted and I test drove the car the same way I did with the bigger tires and NO rubs at all... Did weigh the tires/rims and the 15's went at 35 lb's wheel and tire and the stock (17''s) tires/rims where 42 lb's
    During the drive I notice the car leaned or rolled a bit more but the trade off was a much nicer ride on cold tires as it was 28 degF this am and the stock tires felt square till they warmed up these seem to give a smooth less harsh ride owing to the taller sidewall is my thought. A fair price to pay for winter traction....
    Again the wheels are MSW type 23 on close out at Tirerack and the tire size is 195/55/15 Blizzak WS60.
    here is the factory rim for reference as to the brake gap [​IMG]
    The=is size tire was a little shorter and a little narrower then the factory so it fit no prob and the brake clearance as you can see while not gapping it will work...
    Hope this helps
    Mayhem and mrtn like this.
  21. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

I've been waiting for someone to post pics. But they are so tiny! The pics I mean.

I'm waiting for mine to come in. I went with a mogeti mr116, 16" rim with 205/45r16 for winter. Price was good but the tires are a pain to find.