Winter Tires/ Wheel's

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by Mikeygti, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Hiramw

Hiramw New Member

Hello,

I bought my winter wheels and tires with the TPMS sensors installed. However, I have not been able to get the sensors recognized by the car. I have some elaborate instruction for getting the car into "train mode."

1.) Make sure all tires are inflated to the vehicle’s recommended inflation pressures (found in the owner’s manual on the door placard).

2.) Make sure the ignition button is OFF then press and release the brake pedal.

3.) Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the button once. The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

4.) Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off. 5.) Press and release the brake pedal.
    6.) Tap the ignition button once so the vehicle is OFF.

7.) Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the button once. The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

8.) Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off. 9.) The horn should sound letting you know the vehicle has entered into TPMS relearn mode.

10.) Place the top of the TPMS triggering tool against the sidewall of the driver’s side front tire in the location of the valve stem.

11a.) If using a VT10, hold down the left button of the VT10 triggering tool for 10-15 seconds. The vehicle’s horn will sound letting you know the sensor has been learned.
    11b.) If using a VT15, press the left button, wait until the horn sounds, then press the right button to turn the tool off.

11c.) If using a FORDTRIGGER, press the center button. The vehicle’s horn will sound letting you know the sensor has been learned.

12.) Once the horn sounds, move on to the passenger side front tire and repeat the process. Each tire should only take 30 seconds or less.

13.) After the passenger side front tire has been learned, continue on to the passenger side rear tire and finishing with the driver’s side rear tire.

14.) You may now turn the ignition to OFF. If the horn does not sound, the sensors were learned successfully. If the horn sounds twice, then the process must be repeated because there was a malfunction.

After a dozen attempts, I have not been able to get the above instructions to work for me.

The following directions do work, at least in terms of getting it into "Train mode."

1) Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended psi.

2) Turn ignition to the on position. If you have a push button start, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

3) Push the hazard light (emergency flasher) button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see "Train left front tire" in the LCD display.

However, once in train mode, I still cannot get the sensors to be recognized by the car. I hold the transmitter (Ford/Motorcraft TPMS-19-8C2Z-1A203-A) on the tire sidewall near the valve stem and press the button. However, the car never responds with the horn so I can't move to the next tire.

I am wondering now if I have the wrong transmitter to reset the sensors. Or, if the wheels have the wrong sensors installed. Or, if maybe just the sensor in left front wheel is bad (dead batteries?). The procedure always starts with the left front wheel so if there is a problem with that sensor you cannot proceed.

Anyone have any thoughts? Has anyone successfully trained new sensors in new wheels?

Thanks,

Hiram

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Sounds like someone with OCD developed these procedures!!!
    ;););););)

4. coffeeslug

coffeeslug New Member

I got Kumho Ecsta 4x on my stock rims and sold the OEM tires. Obviously they won't grip quite as well in the summers, but they are a good no hassle compromise. The car still handles very well.

5. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

I had 245 45 17 Kumho Ecsta 4x on my TL for almost a year and had no complaints. They gripped pretty on wet and dry also pretty quiet...but they were heavy compared to other tires.
    I sent you a PM check your inbox.

6. Mike

Mike Member

Any comments, observations on those Conti DWS?

7. moshaholic2

moshaholic2 Active Member

I decided to give these tires a chance. They arrived only two days after ordering.

They mounted easily and balanced BETTER than the OE tires with alot less weight & nice and round.

[​IMG]

8. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Well, 16" steelies finally arrived, but still waiting on the Pirelli snow control series 3's.
    Went with the 195/50/16.

Probably have them mounted next week. Kind of late, but oh well.

Likely have the windows tinted when I have the new wheels n tires thrown on.

9. CarefreeAZ

CarefreeAZ Active Member

Still in the garage parked. I'll let you know when I put them on in Jan/Feb.

10. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

These are the wheels I'm getting as part of the winter tire safety program, 16" Ford OEM wheels, part #EE8Z1007AWSP. Will post pictures of it on my car when installed on my PB FiST. I'm getting Hak R2 winter tires 195/50r16 put onto these wheels. My dealer was nice enough to give me a temporary set of 15" steelies and Yokahama iceGUARD iG52c. They seem to be decent winter tires with our snow and ice we have gotten so far this winter.

Attached Files:

11. speedprotege

speedprotege Member

[​IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/
    13/12/15/7e9a8a4a.jpg

Blizzaks

RodMoe and Mayhem like this.
  12. stuntdoogie

Been waiting for pics of these mounted on your car for like forevar! :)
    These cheapo wheels are badass looking and would not mind sporting them even in the summer...
    Can we see please!!!

13. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Sorry! I had them on the car for about 2 days and realized the Plastidip threw off the balance and had to take them off to get rebalanced. That's done now, but I left for a business trip for 2 weeks and just got back late Friday. We've had plenty of snow lately and I need to put them back on today. I'll get pics posted as soon as I get them on.

14. stuntdoogie

Wow didnt know plastidip can do that...
    Lookin forward to seeing your setup.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

15. WScottCross

I didn't think it would either. I know I put it on pretty evenly, but it was certainly out of balance when I put them on. Maybe they weren't properly balanced when I got them from TireRack. I never tried them on the car before I did the Plastidip. Anyway, I got them mounted today and here is the pic:
    [​IMG]

Firesail likes this.
  16. stuntdoogie

Very Nice! Really diggin those wheels.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

17. WScottCross

Thanks! Me too! Next is some black spline drive lug nuts. Then I'll have to see if the center caps look out of place. :rolleyes:

18. WScottCross

Got the black spline lug nuts on. Now I'm thinking the silver center caps look like they want some Plastidip.
    [​IMG]

19. DayJ

DayJ New Member

Purchased a set of Blizzak 205/40R17 mounted on red Sparcos. The Sparcos were on closeout on TR (I can't imagine why everyone wouldn't want flaming red wheels?! ) I haven't had any rubbing issues that others have reported. It dumped about 4" two days ago and they handled fine. I am definitely not going for the understated look with this setup, Green Envy and red! Had the sensors installed by TR, trained the car to the new tires and have had no issues.

BTW- what wheel wax do you guys suggest? The brake dust is driving me nuts.

20. WScottCross

Plastidip! :) It seems to reject brake dust. I did my cheapo 16" silver rims with Black Plastidip and I don't have to go nuts trying to clean them all the time.

21. MosesCDN

MosesCDN Member

I have a set of 16" Ford rims the dealer have me as part of a package. They look decent for winters, I think.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk