Winter tires?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by Ripterry, Jan 2, 2015.

1. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

ran 17" snow tires on the Fiesta Movement ST and would not do that for my personal car. Wheels were constantly packed with snow and the dealer butchered the factory wheels installing the tires. Everytime the dealer mounted tires on the factory wheels, they damaged them more. After 20,000 miles of hard use, the only damage on the car was from the tire installs, which we had a number of them over 6 months. The sidewall is also too small on the 17" tires to protect the wheel from damage. After 20 years of perfecting winter prep, I am 100% sold on having multiple sets of wheels and tires. Even on my wife's Escape, she has a set of winter wheels and tires and another set for summer.

Oh, another reason why not to just swap tires on the same wheels is that each time a tire is mounted and de-mounted, the edges of the wheel are scraped by the equipment. Each scrape removes the clearcoat that protects the aluminum. Aluminum protects itself when oxidizing by creating a sacraficial layer on the surface. With the clearcoat gone, the aluminum forms a layer of oxidation between the rubber and the base material. This layer won't seal the bead of the tire and you get air leaks. To fix the air leaks, the tire needs to be taken off, the oxidation sanded down to bare aluminum, and new clearcoat added. No thanks, I will stick with 2 sets of wheels and tires. Also, the space required to store 4 tires is the same as 4 wheels and tires since the wheels sit within the diameter of the tire.

iLiptiKal likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. KKaWing

KKaWing Member

Oh another thing to note is mounting and balancing costs more... about $60 to $80 for one swap rather than doing it yourself for free or $30 to $40 bucks for a garage (those are prices within 1 hr of me). Do that twice a year, it adds up. Not to mention when it comes time to sell the set, having them mounted and balanced tends to sell much quicker on the local classifieds assuming they're in decent condition.

iLiptiKal likes this.
  4. BRGT350

yep, all accurate things to consider. Without bothering to run the numbers on Tire Rack, I would bet 15"tires on steel wheels aren't much more expensize than 17" Blizzaks with mounting/balancing.

Screw it, I checked. $484.00 for wheels and tires mounted/balanced without sensors. 17" snow tires unbalanced without shipping are $560.00. The argument for not buying an extra set of wheels and tires just went out the window.

Smokin, Firesail and iLiptiKal like this.
  5. THEMUFINMN

THEMUFINMN New Member

yup watched the video but like i said from personal experience here in Montana where i was recently driving through negative 60 (with the windchill) and 16 inches of snow. I did not have one single problem! I feel you waste money and space and alot of people have not tried oem sized winter tires. They believe because there low profile they will not work as well. Technology has come a long way on tires and in my opinion the blizzaks are the way to go!

6. THEMUFINMN

THEMUFINMN New Member

good for you man. did you read the part about not having space. If you got the storage space then go for it!

7. BRGT350

the wheels sit inside the tires, so the space required for 4 tires is the same as 4 wheels and tires. I used to have an extra set of wheels/tires in my college dorm room, so there is always room for wheels and tires.

8. THEMUFINMN

THEMUFINMN New Member

yup but you got the extra weight and there actual certain ways your suppose to store tires. If you got wheels with tires on them with air just sitting there its actually bad for the tire. where you just have tires sitting upright with no air its better for the tire. i have a pvc tire rack that hold only the tire weight and holds them properly. also i dont have room for a air compressor so if i had wheels and tires that im going to put on my self every frickin winter then i will be driving to a gas station with low tires! hmmmmmm like i said it makes more sense to ME. Its all up to what works for other people. I just have no need for a extra pair of 15 inch wheels and tires laying around for half the year when they make things that have been through numerous test called WINTER TIRES that fit my factory sized wheels. The blizzaks are amazing tires for where im at. If you have been to Montana you know how extreme the winters get here.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  9. BRGT350

we will just have to agree to disagree. I actually keep my tires inflated all year and have not noticed any issues. The tires tend to be worn out after a few summers anyway, and winter tires are driven well below posted speed limits thanks to mother nature and her snow. I tend to be a big fan of multiple sets of wheels and tires for my cars. The Fiesta ST and Escape have a set of summers and winters and my Mustang has a set of street tires and track tires.

10. TRev

TRev Member

Ripterry, I live in La Crosse WI. I bought 15" steelies and General Arctic Altimax 185/65R15 tires mounted and balanced from Tire Rack. They are $571.20 shipped to my door.

Having numerous years of ice racing and winter driving on studless snow tires, I can tell you that the General is the best bang for your buck tire you can find. It's a known go to for ice racers due to the excellent performance. I went with a 185/65R15 instead of the 185/60R15 that Tire Rack lists due to wanting as much ground clearance as possible.

I took delivery last Friday and had the FiST out on the our ice rally cross course this weekend. It did really well with the Generals and has some really nice predictable throttle lift over steer. The boat landing area to get on the lake had at least 8-10" deep of mushy snow and the Fiesta climbed right up and through it on the way off the lake.

Ripterry likes this.
  11. eRic

eRic Active Member

LOL and I thought having two bikes [a road bike and a mountain bike] and three sets of bike tires [including studded tires for the mountain bike] in my dorm room was bad.

12. THEMUFINMN

THEMUFINMN New Member

They probably are for what your doing with the racing. With my numerous years of driving in Montana and to ski resorts and on crappy highways and day to day driving the blizzaks are perfect. If I was doing something more hard core off road I would consider those and extra wheels.

13. Ripterry

Ripterry Member

Thanks for the input. I'm right up on lake superior so we typically get that plus a lot of lake effect snow too. I guess I'll have to save up and just get the rims and tires. Might take me a while. haha

Smokin likes this.
  14. TRev

TRev Member

I was racing a studded car this past weekend and was just playing around on the lake with the FiST to get a feel for the car. It is nice knowing how the car feels if you get it sideways at 70+ on ice and how to keep it on an intended path.

Tires are definitely a matter of personal choice but some things like wear and price are measurable. My thoughts are from the 25 years of winter driving experience I have.

I have owned Blizzak WS50, REVO1, WS60, and WS70. The Blizzaks do not do nearly as well in sloppy/wet snow or deep snow that is more than an inch. As you can see from the tread patterns below, the General (top) does a much better job of clearing slush and snow. They are pretty comparable on ice at least as far as race times go. Generals wear significantly better than the Blizzaks and are $13/tire cheaper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. eRic

eRic Active Member

huh? my OE wheels and summer tires are stacked on their side with bags covering them. two of them had 39 psi and two had 36 psi in them when I put them away for winter. during the summer my winter wheels and tires are stacked the same way. With two sets of wheels I can swap them myself at home vs. taking them to the shop to have tires unmounted and mounted over and over again on the OE wheels.

16. KKaWing

KKaWing Member

17. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

This is what I do, personally.

Posted from next to a stack of Direzzas.

18. BRGT350

pretty good info and I surely fall into the catagory of wearing out the tread of the tire way before the cracks start. The only exception is my Mustang which now spends most of its life sitting in the garage. I bet I am about a year or two before the tires are too old due to age instead of wear. I get about 3 summers out of the tires on my Fiesta (back in my Focus days, I would go thru a set of tires each summer) before the tread is too worn. I haven't replaced a set of winter tires for any of my cars yet as I tend to sell them after 4 years and the snow tires go with the car. Since the oldest my daily driver tires will ever be is 4 years, I am not too terribly worried about storing them to prevent aging. I do wrap the tires in plastic and keep them out of sunlight, which isn't a problem in the winter in Michigan since the sun hides for 4 months. Winter tires are stored in my attic, also wrapped in plastic and kept out of sunlight. I installed a lift in my garage that I use to put the winter tires in the attic. Works really slick!

19. REM Sleep

REM Sleep New Member

@BRGT350 What pressure did you put on the General Altimax Arctics? I can't find anybody with an opinion and mine seem a little low.

20. captainmorbid

captainmorbid Active Member

I run the same tires as Bryan, and I set the pressure at 35psi. The normal pressure for 185-60-15s on a Fiesta is 32 psi I believe.

21. REM Sleep

REM Sleep New Member

OK @captainmorbid - I need to drop the pressure. I put 39 in the front and 36 in the back. 35 just felt/looked saggy to me.