Yokohama ride and drive in FR-S

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by spangenb, Jun 13, 2014.

1. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

My mechanic invited me to a Yokohama ride and drive event at PIRC in Pittsburgh yesterday. About 15 of us got to drive 4 identically prepared Scion FR-S (stock, plus exhaust and TRD springs, automatic trans) with four different Yoko tires: Avid Envigor, Advan Sport A/S, S.Drive, and Advan Neova RD08S (180 treadwear) on a 40 second autocross course. It was definitely cool to compare the tires back to back like that and feel the progression from basic all-season to a high performance summer tire like our own RE050. I know the FR-S has no torque, but I am sure they still had electronics getting in the way because wow the car just didn't go at all LOL. Handled great, but yeah really not into it compared to the FiST. All in all it was a fun time and I am grateful for the opportunity to flog somebody else's FR-S ;-) uploadfromtaptalk1402675935100.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Did you have TSC or ESC turned off on the console near the shifter if i recall and you didn't have it in snow mode.. and Yes NO torque but the rev match downshift is a cool bit of gadgetry ..

4. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

From what I could tell, the buttons on the console did nothing, so I have no idea what mode the ESC was in. However, it was obvious there was some pretty severe electronic intervention both from how the car drove and from how hot the brakes were getting LOL. I'm sure for an event like this they don't let people fiddle with the settings. These were auto trans cars too :-(

5. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Yup I think if I recall on my FRS Auto you had to press and Hold the Stability Control/Traction Control button to disable it much like ours but you only got the light on the speedo/Tach and a beep as mine did not have a message center .. If the brakes were woring that hard then it was full on is my guess and that a shame can't do much that way.. Did they let you at least manual shift it via the slap stick or paddles ??

[​IMG]

6. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

We could manual shift it, but it was discouraged by the guy who ran the event because "it won't make you any faster". The course was all second gear so I just left it in drive.

7. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

well at least ya had fun :) cool