ZII vs R1R

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by Mister_Mino, Jan 6, 2015.

1. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

On the subject of tires, I had been originally thinking of getting a set of the RS-3's but am now considering the Dunlop DZ102 in a 215/45/17 size... low cost and should last longer than the RS-3's from what I can research, that said, would love to know if anyone here has run them before and to gain their input on the performance of those tires...? Thanks
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. ABQautoxer

ABQautoxer Member

Honestly the DZ102 is a B group performer. Yes they will last longer but you will pay for that with measurable performance loss over the others. With that said, if you are a novice it might not be a bad choice to get extra seat time for the trade off in performance. It just depends what your goals are.
    Smokin and k757 like this.
  4. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

I am assuming that they offer superior grip versus the OEM Bridgestones?
  5. ABQautoxer

ABQautoxer Member

No guarantee of that and the only way to be sure is to test. I would guess they are within the noise of each other. The preferred Dunlop is the ZII Star Spec.
  6. eRic

eRic Active Member

I doubt that the 460 treadwear ultra high performance summer Dunlop Direzza DZ102 would have more grip than the 140 treadwear max performance summer OE Bridgestone RE050A. Look at the Tire Rack test results for slalom time, lap time and average cornering.
    k757 likes this.
  7. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

So using that logic, a Dunlop Star Spec or Hankook RS3 would have less grip versus the Bridgestone? (Rhetorical) I was originally thinking of purchasing one of the two, but am now leaning on something that will have more endurance (mileage) with nearly as good grip. Essentially I want better traction, without too much sacrifice of tire wear. Tire rack did show high ratings for the DZ102's, and they are in special now, so a set of 4 for less than $400... But often cheap doesn't equal good so that's why I ask to see if someone else has actually purchased and used them... Thanks!
  8. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

I would get the Bridgestone S04's before the DZ102's, any day. The DZ102's are not in the same league. The S04's are muuuuuuch better as a overall daily driver tire and that sounds like what you are looking for.

The RS3 and the Z2 SS blow both of them away by miles, but again, the S04 is a WAY better daily driver tire with really good performance.

The S04 is my all time favorite performance daily driver tire. I've used them on my last four cars for daily and they ride smooth, no noise and grip well for what they are. They are also surprisingly very good in the rain.

On my FiST I currently use the S04's as my daily tires and the Z2 SS's as my track tires.
    Cesso and djdennehy like this.
  9. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Thanks @razorlab, I will look into them... Probably going to buy a new set within the next few weeks,
  10. Cesso

Cesso Member

Once the factory RE050A's run out I plan on either running the S04 Pole Positions or Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They are rather close in performance although I have heard better things about the Super Sports. Both are significantly cheaper than the stock tires as well.
  11. eRic

eRic Active Member

No.... I'm not saying that at all. The 200 treadwear Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec and Hankook Ventus R-S3 are in the extreme performance summer category so they would have more grip than the OE 140 treadwear Bridgestone Potenza RE050A. I wasn't only looking at the treadwear ratings but the performance category. Given the SCCA Solo rules change there are several tires that went from 140 treadwear to 200 treadwear overnight. I'm waiting until after April 30 before buying tires.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    djdennehy likes this.
  12. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

If you are going to autocross the DZ102 is not the tire to have.

I ran the ZII and the Star Specs last year and based on what I experienced that is still the "better" tire for our cars. I wish the kooks came in the 225 size, I was debating going to a narrow 205 but being that the odds of me getting contingency money is small I will stick with the lops.
    Smokin likes this.
  13. Des

Des Active Member

Another data point for those thinking of 235/40/17s: Just mounted up the Star Specs on 45mm offset Motegi MR117s. Kinda ugly, but 17.5 lbs, which is by far the lightest wheel i found with an offset this close to stock.

No rubbing at full lock or over speed bumps (so far), which I got a bit of during street driving with the same size tire on 42s and not at all on the stockers (47.5).

At events, the 235s never rubbed at all on stockers, and they rubbed quite a bit at 42 (I have super high tolerance but it wound up to be too much for me.).

djdennehy likes this.
  14. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Interesting Dez...another possible choice. I would be curious as to how much they rub on course with our body roll happy machines.
  15. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Would love to see pictures of this fitment as well
  16. Mister_Mino

Mister_Mino Member

Anyone believe that the 0.2" in tread width (8.7" vs 8.5") worth the 1 lbs in weight difference (24 lbs vs 23 lbs)? Even more at $200 cost difference for the 17s? Cost of the $900 16" Ultraleggras offset that cost initially but the 16" Ultras with the 225s Lops are still 3.85lbs lighter per corner.
  17. ABQautoxer

ABQautoxer Member

I don't know when or even if we'll have that answer. Between more tires coming out and it likely coming down to feel and being subjective, it will be hard to say. I think I'm going to get a set of 16s first so that way I have either diameter covered down the road.
  18. Des

Des Active Member

There isn't any difference in the amount of rubber on the pavement for 225s vs 235s on a 7 inch rim, just a couple of additional mph in 2nd gear.
  19. Des

Des Active Member

MightyMango, we ran the 235s most of last year; only thing new is that a lighter 17 inch wheel that doesn't seem to rub (as of yet). For some reason I thought you'd tried it.

No pics; it's raining. I'll snap some in, say, May, when it finally stops.
  20. Des

Des Active Member

FWIW, full-tread ZIIs were pretty spectacular in the rain at our practice yesterday. Folks on Conti DWs who are better drivers than I didn't seem to have any grip advantage despite quite a bit of standing water.
  21. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Des--Sounds like you're running 235/40/17s on the Montegis you mention above? Glad to know the ZIIs were "pretty spectacular"! Were they still rub-free, etc.? Also, I'm curious why you chose the combo you did versus, say, 225/45/16 on Sparcos or similar.