ZII vs R1R

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by Mister_Mino, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Des

Des Active Member

So I get all amped up, ready to part with actual money and join the 16-inch club just to get a taste of the Rival S, and find out that I can't get the wheels/tires delivered until April 17 -- the Friday of the Crow's Tour. Wonder if they'll ship to a hotel, and if the hotel will accept ...
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Des : check your email ;)
  4. Mister_Mino

Mister_Mino Member

Wow! That from tirerack??
  5. Des

Des Active Member

OK, Trevor talked me into trying the 215/45/17 Bridgestones. This way I can try them out next weekend and still grab Rivals if the RE71s rub.
  6. TRev

TRev Member

I only confirmed you already had a good plan :) Hope they fit as it would be nice to have additional options that offer contingency with Hankook failing to do anything thus far
  7. JLWSN

JLWSN Member

Andy Hollis is saying the Rival-S will at least be right in the mix, but it is always preference, setup, confidence, etc. I think a 215/45/16 Rival-S is at least a great option. On a low speed course with many transitions whether heavy or anything other than full throttle, the smaller (lighter and sharper) 205/45/16 may still be the tire.
  8. TRev

TRev Member

I believe it is somewhat opposite of Andy's experience in that every time I have over sized a street tire (taller/wider), up to the point I have tried to (235 on 7" rim or 255 on 8" rim) it has been faster. One case in point was Mark switching from 245/40R17's to 255/40R17's (8" rim) last year after finding they were faster on the test course. They were not as light and didn't have the same responsiveness but they provided a gain in time and the test course was mostly constant transition and lower speeds. If the driver can adapt to the additional numbness, they will be faster. I have also found with cars that have sufficient torque, wheel/tire weight becomes much less of a factor.
  9. And the answer for 225/45R16 Z2SS (left) vs 205/50R16 RE71R (right) on the same rim : if this isn't a tie in tire width, I don't know what is :D

(yes, that is a metal ruler that is touching on all THREE sidewalls)

Mister_Mino likes this.
  10. TRev

TRev Member

So Tire Rack's specs of 6.6" does definitely appear to be a typo. It is good that we have another choice with the same size footprint and even slightly taller. Bad news for the likelihood that the 215/45R17 will fit, but due to running wide, the 205/45R17 will also likely be a good alternative in a 17 and is a bit taller yet but also $100 more per set.
  11. Mister_Mino

Mister_Mino Member

Guess I'm still torn between the 205/50/16 and 205/45/16 in the 71R as the 50s are wayyy cheaper...
  12. JLWSN

JLWSN Member

I sure would like to know how the 50 feels. Please let us know your thoughts of the sidewalls compared to the ZIISSs once you have a chance to test both.
  13. If I had to guess, the 215/45R17 will fit...but will require being on a stock offset (or at least +45 rim like the Motegi MR117 that Des has) to work. +42 will likely rub a lot. From locals experience the 235/40R17 Z2SS will fit with only very minor rubbing on both stock and MR117 rims.
  14. My next event is the El Toro Pro next weekend. I'll probably take the RE71Rs with me and run them at least one session...that said, given HS entries (or lack thereof) I'm not too inspired to necessarily run my "best available" rubber ;)

I can tell you that comparing the 225 Z2SS on front vs the 205/45R16 Hankook that the Hankook was a little sharper in transition, but the Z2SS had VERY noticably better corner entry bite! 205 RS3v2 on back in both cases (I only have a pair of the Z2SS, not a set of 4)
  15. Mister_Mino

Mister_Mino Member

Hmm, guessing you're busy today?? :p
  16. 8 days standing on concrete in March is enough :)
  17. toptier

toptier New Member

I've decided on the 205/50-16's plus an extra set of sparcos to go with them since there on closeout. Then I can test the RE71's and Rival S's back to back or the ziiss
  18. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

I put a set of Dunlop DZ102's on the car, 215/45/17 (OEM wheels) and I haven't had a rub or any issue at all. The larger footprint has really promoted greater stability and turn in. I do not know until I Autocross again if I will be able to go as deep into corners as with the OEM rubber, probably not with the quality of rubber not being as good, but frankly I should be able to use these tires for two years and go Autocrossing, my budget is tight so I would rather pay for seat time than new tires all the time.
    jimclark likes this.
  19. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I have not seen the results...but saw someone on fb post that the Bridgestones were looking strong out in San Diego at the tour. Rival S was also getting good press on solo matters...
  20. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Winners by class:
    AS: Hankook
    BSL: Dunlop
    CS: Dunlop
    CSL: Dunlop
    DS: Dunlop
    ES: Stones
    FS: Stones
    GS: Stones
    HS: Hankook
    STF: Stones
    STS: Stones
    STX: Hankook
    STU: Stones
    STR: Stones
    STRL: Stones

I really have a feeling that the contingency (though small) is part of the reason of the switch.
  21. Des

Des Active Member

Contingency is a big part! But Mark Scroggs -- my co-driver last year and the Focus driver who raw-timed every other stock class (and most of ST*) in San Diego -- says they're that good.