ZII vs R1R

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by Mister_Mino, Jan 6, 2015.

1. JLWSN

JLWSN Member

Ed, how do the stiffer sidewalls of the RE-71R do a better job than the Rival-S of preventing rollover onto/beyond the edge of the tread?
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Personally, I wasn't really seeing any real rollover on either tire. This shouldn't be surprising, as some other tires could be run at surprisingly low pressures without rollover despite "soft" sidewalls : Toyo R1R. On the ST Civic we were at only 28 PSI front...and seeing evidence that 25-26 might actually work better :)

Next time I try the Rival S I intend to explore the lower 30s range in PSI in front...
  4. JLWSN

JLWSN Member

Hankook is back in contingency program, btw
  5. TRev

TRev Member

Had a chance to test both the Rival S and RE71R today and they were within a tenth of each other for me on two different mid 20 second test courses.
  6. toptier

toptier New Member

What kind of surface were you on?
  7. TRev

TRev Member

Unsealed grippy asphalt (Milwaukee)
  8. JLWSN

JLWSN Member

Trevor, would you expect the Rival-S, with the bulky edges, to wear better than the RE-71R?
  9. JLWSN

JLWSN Member

Kumho V720 showing on Tirerack... available this week in 214/45/17.
  10. TRev

TRev Member

The RE71R can be flipped and the Rival S isn't designed to be flipped so by design the RE71R would have better overall wear I think...but only if flipped and only if the Rival S does not respond well to being flipped. If I wasn't doing Pro's, the RE71R would likely be the only tire I used at this point. Hope they decide to add Pro contingency in the future.
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
  11. TRev

TRev Member

Had an opportunity to test RE71R vs Rival S at Lincoln today. Best time on RE71R was 48.1 and on the BFG 48.0.
  12. Interesting :) . Wonder what the answer is after some OPR gets put down...
  13. TRev

TRev Member

Since we run Tues/Wed it shouldn't be much of a concern unless their are sections that overlap with the Pro course.
  14. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

I'm glad we are in the early group at Nats.
  15. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a feel for which tire works better in the wet ? the New BFG Rival-S or the New-ish Hankook rs3 V2? Only looking for feedback on these as I am size limited to these two choices in that I want a 225/45/15 sticky street tire but am open to input and feedback .. Thx