Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
121 - 140 of 216 Posts
It was actually the rear tire that was rubbing the rear center portion of the liner. It wasn't hitting with the car parked, so I'm sure it was during bumps or corners It probably wouldn't hurt the tires at all, but I don't want to wear through the liners and end up with too much sand and salt getting above the liner and causing problems. You can see (sort of) in the second picture where the is a flat spot on the liner already. I was concerned that if I ever put more people or any weight in the back that it would really cause it to wear through. Maybe there is enough variability in the shape of the liners that it won't be a problem for others, but I would certainly keep an eye on it if you put tires larger than 24" diameter on your car.
Thanks for the pictures. I will check there tonight. My wife is driving with her just fitted 205/45R17 winters on stock wheels. My wife was driving yesterday with Focus SVT wheels with summer 215/45R17's and she mentioned no rub. We also drove 2 days with Blizzak WS70 215/45R17 on a different set of Focus SVT wheels and they had no problem.
Was your tire rubbing on both sides at the back?
What size wheels were you using?

My wife drove yesterday with my sons SVT wheels which have no TPMS while her winter tires were being fitted. No light came up then. One tire was down to 21.5 psi as my wife said it felt bad. No wonder.
We also drove with another set of SVT wheels for 2 days and no lights came on.
Maybe the light only comes on if the TPMS is present and it detects low pressure?

If you park the car near your summer set, assuming they still contain the tpms, it'll reset the receiver in the car.

If you park the car near your summer set, assuming they still contain the tpms, it'll reset the receiver in the car.
Yes the car was parked next to the original wheels, but I thought they detect the wheel spinning to wake up?
I have a 2013 Focus ST and have winter wheels and tires with TPMS in both. I have not reprogrammed or reset the TPMS in that car either but I know that car detects low tire pressure correctly with some eBay TPMS's even with my stock wheels/TPMS's in the attic above.

Yes the car was parked next to the original wheels, but I thought they detect the wheel spinning to wake up?
I have a 2013 Focus ST and have winter wheels and tires with TPMS in both. I have not reprogrammed or reset the TPMS in that car either but I know that car detects low tire pressure correctly with some eBay TPMS's even with my stock wheels/TPMS's in the attic above.
This is my third winter without tpms for my 11 SES, and it has done this every winter. It takes about 30 minutes for the dummy light to come on. I don't thing there's any motion sensor component on the Fiesta, but I could be wrong. Even so, it's always good to have a gauge in the boot.

Winter came early in Michigan, so I put my snow tires from my Focus on the Fiesta ST. I am using the stock 2000 ZX3 15" wheels with General Altimax Arctic 185/65R15. Here are some pics.

I bought the same wheels as RodMoe (15x6.5 MSW Type 23). I bought different tires though. I got a set of 195/55 R15 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires. I hope to use them for at least 4 winters. I installed the wheels myself using the included jack and torqued the lug nuts with a torque wrench I already had. One note, although none of the lug nuts on the stock wheels were loose, they did not offer as much resistance to removal as they should have. They clearly were not as tight as the spec. Just throwing that out to new owners as reminder to check the lug nuts on your wheels. I'm going to recheck mine before long.

The tires seem good. I'll have to use them much longer to form a real impression though. So far, they are the most quiet winter tires I have ever owned. They are actually quieter then the stock tires. The ride is softer and handling is not as good as the stock tires and wheels, but that is to be expected.

I'll try to get some measurements, but there is plenty of clearance between the outside edge of the caliper and the inner wheel surface. There is also plenty of clearance between the face of the caliper and the spokes.

Hiram
Thanks for the response. I actually went ahead and bought those wheels (and coincidentally the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires as well) since I was worried about stock running out and prices going up. My Fiesta ST still hasn't arrived yet so it's good to hear from a second person that those wheels will fit. My dealer had been telling me that 15" wheels wouldn't fit the Fiesta ST (despite me pointing out that the full-sized spare it comes with is 15", and the Ford SVT hotline telling me that any 15" or 16" wheel from the regular Fiesta lineup would be just fine). Getting a simple straight answer about winter wheels has been waaaaaay more difficult than it ever should be. :S Now all I need is a car to put these wheels on!

Thanks also to everyone on this forum for sharing their experiences - great resource for people looking for information that dealers don't seem to have (or don't want to provide...).

Keep an eye on those rear wheel well liners. I was seeing rubbing with similar sized tires.
I just checked on the car, and so far I don't see any rubbing or marks. Thanks for the heads up, I will keep watching that. Also I did want to say that I check the speedo to my GPS with this wheel and tire setup and it is dead on to 75 mph. I don't like going too fast on snow tires.

Speaking of these rear wheel liners has anyone else noticed the gap between the steel fender and the liner as it runs along the top of the wheel well ?
Like a felt liner then a gap and then the steel of the fender... Can't wait till that loads up with snow and salt crud....

Thanks for the response. I actually went ahead and bought those wheels (and coincidentally the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires as well) since I was worried about stock running out and prices going up. My Fiesta ST still hasn't arrived yet so it's good to hear from a second person that those wheels will fit. My dealer had been telling me that 15" wheels wouldn't fit the Fiesta ST (despite me pointing out that the full-sized spare it comes with is 15", and the Ford SVT hotline telling me that any 15" or 16" wheel from the regular Fiesta lineup would be just fine). Getting a simple straight answer about winter wheels has been waaaaaay more difficult than it ever should be. :S Now all I need is a car to put these wheels on!

Thanks also to everyone on this forum for sharing their experiences - great resource for people looking for information that dealers don't seem to have (or don't want to provide...).
You are welcome. I hope your ST arrives soon. I am enjoying mine more, the more I drive it.

Hiram

I swapped my grey EAP SVT Focus wheels to the FiST this past Saturday, but was unable to complete the shortcut TPMS learning procedure that was mentioned on one of the Focus forums (also in a convenient Youtube video). Learning mode did pop up like the video clip suggested and in looking back, it's possible that I just didn't start off with a high enough PSI value before I released the air pressure.

I don't think the installer forgot to put in my TireRack TPMS modules, but I guess I will find out the truth when my TPMS reset tool arrives. I receive the TPMS malfunction error, so I'm thinking the sensors are present but just not cooperating.

The ST will ding at you and display a warning message with every engine start up without TPMS, unlike the 2011-13 cars that just illuminated a light on the dash. Since the ding is highly annoying, I will get a second set of sensors for the winter tires.
I get the dash light while im driving and when I shut off the car and restart it I ONLY get the dash light slow blink then solid on and a 5 second warning on the MFT screen about TPMS.. No dings no noise only a goofy tire with a ! in the center,,, So it is like someone here or someplace said their dealer said No Dingbells :) yeah !!

121 - 140 of 216 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.